Bed bugs are one of the most feared pests, and for good reason! These tiny insects feed on the blood of their human hosts. Even worse, they spread easily and are difficult to control without the help of a bed bug exterminator. At Pest Defense Solutions, our bed bug extermination team knows how to remove these pesky pests and stop them from returning.
When to Use a Bed Bug Exterminator
Getting rid of bed bugs always requires the help of a professional exterminator. Bed bugs hide in mattresses, baseboards, upholstered furniture, and even in light switches or power outlets. They are nocturnal and thus usually only seen at night, which is when they will emerge to feed.
Because they are notoriously hard to find, it’s important to call the bed bug exterminators at Pest Defense Solutions for a thorough inspection.
Bed Bug Pest Control & Removal
Although their bites aren’t known to be very dangerous, no one wants to be covered in bed bug bites! If you notice the signs and symptoms of bed bug bites, it’s time to call the bed bug removal team at Pest Defense Solutions. Noticing a bed bug bite is the number one indicator of a bed bug infestation:
- Bed bug bites often appear in zigzag patterns on areas of the body that are exposed while sleeping.
- Bed bug bites are often confused for other insect bites.
- Even though bed bug bites do not transmit diseases or cause any danger, bites can lead to rashes and welts in serious cases.
Need a bed bug control estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Bed Bug FAQ
Bed bugs may be tiny, but they have a few characteristics that make them stand out from other pests:
- Adult bed bugs can grow up to 5 mm in size. Their bodies are oval-shaped, flat, and dark brown in color.
- Nymph bed bugs are minuscule, only 1-4 mm in size. They are transparent in color.
- After a blood meal, bed bugs can appear engorged and red in color.
- Bed bug eggs are the size of a pinhead and pearly white in color.
Contrary to their name, bed bugs can be located in many areas besides your bed! These pests tend to hide in mattresses, mattress tags, headboards, and box springs. In addition, bed bugs are known to hide in tiny cracks and crevices in furniture, as well as upholstered chairs, sofas, and even power outlets. A serious bed bug infestation can cause bed bugs to spread to many areas of the home.
If you are bitten by a bed bug, you will likely not feel it. Bed bugs inject saliva that contains an anesthetic that inhibits you from feeling anything. Bed bug bite symptoms are usually mild. Typically, bites will leave red itchy marks that can become painful. Unlike some types of biting pests, bed bugs are not known to spread any dangerous diseases to hosts they feed on.
Yes, you can almost always treat bed bug bites at home. Over-the-counter antihistamines can aid any swelling, and creams with hydrocortisone can be extremely helpful in aiding itching symptoms. Bites will usually heal within two week’s time.
As with any bug bite, it’s extremely important to seek medical attention should you suffer from more serious symptoms akin to an allergic reaction.
Especially in the last few decades, bed bug problems often start when people travel to and from infested areas. Bed bugs will attach themselves to luggage, backpacks and used furniture to gain access to your home. Anyone who visits high risk areas such as hotels, schools, dorms, office buildings and movie theaters are prone to an infestation.
There are many signs of bed bugs that indicate you likely have an infestation. The main signs include:
- Adult bed bugs. While nymphs are difficult to see, you can often see adult bed bugs gathered together in their hiding spots.
- Stains on bedding. Bed bugs leave a stain when crushed. You may also notice blood stains from their feeding habits on your bedding.
- Tiny eggs or eggshells. Although rarely seen, a magnifying glass may allow you to be able to seen. They are white and the size of a pinhead.
DIY or at-home treatments for bed bugs are futile. An infestation always requires professional bed bug treatment from a trained pest control company. At Pest Defense Solutions, we offer the industry’s best bed bug treatments that are customized to ensure complete removal of all bed bugs in your home.
Bed bug problems can often appear out of nowhere. That said, there are several things you can do to lessen the risk of getting an infestation in your property. Some of these include:
- Use a mattress cover
- Take care while traveling
- Use vacuum-sealed bags for clothing
- Cover power outlets
- Be wary of used, possibly infested items
- Have frequent pest inspections
Industry-Leading Bed Bug Removal
When it comes to bed bug control, DIY or at-home methods simply won’t work. These insects are hard to get rid of without the help of a bed bug exterminator. At Pest Defense Solutions, our bed bug extermination experts will thoroughly inspect your home and come up with a bed bug removal plan suited to the needs of your property.
As soon as you notice the signs of bed bugs inside your home, call the bed bug exterminators at Pest Defense Solutions!
Bed Bug Exterminators, Control & Removal in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico