If you’ve had a flea problem before, you know how distressing it can be. Homes with pets are even more prone to flea infestations, especially if your cats or dogs spend time outdoors. Flea control on your own can prove to be a trying task. This makes it all the more important to learn how to keep fleas away in the first place. The Pest Defense Solutions flea exterminators are sharing their top tips and tricks for flea control and removal in the Albuquerque NM area.
How do you check for fleas?
Your best defense against fleas is knowing how to recognize them to stop an infestation before it begins. When it comes to knowing how to check for fleas, look for the following signs:
- Adult fleas. Fleas are just ⅛” and reddish-brown in color. They look like dot-like bugs hidden in the hind legs, head, or neck.
- Odd pet behavior. Some of the signs of fleas on dogs or cats include excessive scratching, reddened skin, hair loss, pale gums, restlessness, and welts or bumps from bites.
- Flea dirt. Flea feces (aka flea dirt) looks like coarse black pepper.
- Flea larvae or eggs. Larvae look like minuscule white worms that are about 2-5 mm long with pale hairs covering their bodies.
Need a flea removal estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
Flea control tips for your home
The best form of flea control is prevention. If you have outdoor pets, it’s crucial to stay vigilant about checking them for the signs of fleas. Some of the best ways you can safeguard your home against these pests include:
- Get your pets to the veterinarian. Flea control products can safeguard your cats and dogs from fleas. This keeps them away from your pets and away from your house!
- Keep nuisance wildlife away from your yard. Raccoons, opossums, deer, cattle, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, and skunks can all carry fleas and deposit flea eggs and larvae into your yard.
- Wash your pet bedding regularly. If you suspect a flea may have gotten inside your property, run your pet’s bedding, laundry, sheets, and more through a hot wash.
- Clean and vacuum your home thoroughly. Vacuum all areas of the home, and always carefully dispose of vacuum bags.
- Get in touch with your local flea removal experts. Fleas can be a pesky pest to get rid of for good. For advice and help, your local flea exterminator is an invaluable resource.
When to call a flea exterminator
Fleas are a nuisance, but they can be dangerous, too. While rare, flea bites can transmit diseases, trigger allergies, and more. For these reasons, it’s always best to enlist the help of a professional flea control expert.
At Pest Defense Solutions, our flea exterminators will work with you to ensure you, your pets, and your family are safe from the dangers of fleas all year long.
Flea Exterminator – Control – Removal in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico