What Does a Termite Look Like?
Termites are insects that can be confused for flying ants from time to time. These wood-destroying pests take on a different appearance at different stages of their life.
The main physical characteristics of termites are as follows.
- Termites range in size from ¼ – ½”
- Depending on the caste, termites can be off white to brown.
- All termites have a head, thorax, and abdomen
- Termites have 6 legs and straight antennae
- Certain termites called swarmers possess wings
What Do Different Termites Look Like?
Termites differ in appearance based on their caste or species. Subterranean termites will look different from drywood termites just as swarmer termites look different than worker termites. Drywood termites can be a yellow-brown color, and wings that range from transparent to somewhat gray. Subterranean termites are typically an off-white to dark brown/black color. A professional pest control expert is the one to help identify the termite species by their appearance.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
What Do Termite Castes Look Like?
Termites are unique in that they have different castes, which are their work roles within the colony. The termites within each caste can all look a little different. Here’s how to tell them apart:
- Alates/Swarmers. While these vary in color between species, they all have wings that allow them to fly and are eventually shed.
- Workers. These make up the majority of a colony and have an off-white to creamy colored appearance.
- Soldiers. Often confused for ants, soldier termites have large, dark heads with powerful mandibles.
What Do Termites Look Like in Albuquerque?
Termites are very rarely seen unless you spot swarmers. This is because they are often within the very structure of your home! This makes it difficult to identify what termites you may have in your property. This is always best left to your local termite exterminators at Pest Defense Solutions.
What Does a Termite Look Like? in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico