One thing about spiders is that, generally, the more you learn about them as a whole, the less you fear them! Here at Pest Defense Solutions, our team of spider exterminators share an intricate knowledge of the many species of spiders found around Albuquerque NM and beyond. We believe that passing on what we know to our customers will help them conquer their fear and learn how to get rid of spiders on their own if they need to. Read on to learn more about spiders!
10 Spider Facts You Should Know
- Most spiders aren’t dangerous: Every spider is venomous, but a very small number of spider species are equipped with enough venom to seriously injure a human.
- Spiders live everywhere: And we don’t just mean all over the world. Research suggests that, at any point, you’re probably less than 10 feet away from the nearest spider!
- There are thousands of different kinds: Spider experts have documented over 35,000 different species of spiders around the world and suspect that many more will show themselves in time.
- Spiders are gift-givers: During the mating process, some spider species’ males will capture insects and wrap them up in silk to give to a potential mate. Females spiders beware, though, because males have been known to package up leaves, dirt, or other random findings as a mock gift.
- Spiders can dance: Some male spiders will incorporate a dance routine into their courtship. This often involves back-and-forth scuttling paired with desperate arm-waving.
- Females eat their mates: Sometimes before they have even copulated! In the species that display this activity, the motive and timing varies across the board, but many mothers-to-be save the body of their mate to provide their offspring with nourishment.
- Spider silk is multi-purposed: While we often think of spider silk as the means to a web, some spiders also use their silk to build nests, tunnels, transportation lines, or even as a tool to float through the air with.
- It’s stronger than steel: Steel cut to the same dimensions as a spider web is actually 5 times weaker than spider silk!
- It’s a liquid: Spider silk sits as a liquid in the spider’s spinning gland before turning solid upon contact with outside air. This makes its strength all the more fascinating and impressive!
- Spider muscles can’t extend: They can only retract. This means that to push their legs back out again, spiders pump a special fluid through them; this fluid is also what allows for many spiders to jump so far and high.
Need Spider Exterminators in Albuquerque NM?
While there is a lot to love about spiders, we do understand that having a spider infestation can leave you uncomfortable in your own home. On top of this, there are a few spider species that you need to watch out for around Albuquerque, such as the brown recluse and the black widow. If you need spider extermination services for your property, reach out to our spider control team at Pest Defense Solutions today for a free quote!
Our Top 10 Spider Facts in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico