If you’ve had bed bug problems in the past, you know what a pain they can be. Although bed bugs don’t cause the damage or destruction that many pests do, an infestation can definitely cause psychological stress. Because bed bugs are so feared, there is a lot of false information spread about them constantly. To better prepare yourself for possibly getting bed bugs, it’s important to learn the facts about bed bugs. Bed Bug Awareness Week is here, and the team at Pest Defense Solutions is here to dispel common bed bug myths. Read on to learn the truth about bed bugs!
The Truth About These 8 Bed Bug Myths
As a pest control company, we are always happy to answer common questions about pests. However, we also receive a lot of questions that prove how common bed bug myths are. Some of these include:
- Are bed bugs nocturnal?
- No! Bed bugs are active when their hosts are at rest. This usually means overnight, but they are able to adjust their schedule to feed when you are at rest.
- Can bed bugs infest areas of your home other than your bedroom?
- Bed bugs can infest anywhere–including chairs, sofas, cracks in the wall, and even power outlets. They prefer to congregate near where their hosts rest, which is why bedrooms are often where they reside.
- Are bed bugs too small to see without a magnifying glass?
- No. Although nymphs are nearly impossible to see, adult bed bugs are about the size of an appleseed and are definitely visible.
- Are bed bugs more likely to infest messy homes?
- This is a common misconception with bed bugs, and it is not true/ Bed bugs are attracted to blood and warmth, not messy homes!
- Do bed bugs jump or fly?
- No! Unlike fleas and ticks, bed bugs have underdeveloped wings. Instead of flying or jumping, they crawl from one area to another.
- Should you throw away infested mattresses or other items?
- No! In fact, you shouldn’t move infested furniture in the midst of an infestation. Doing so can contribute to bed bugs spreading into other areas.
- Can bed bug bites transmit disease?
- Thankfully, no. Bed bugs may cause you anxiety and even itchiness, but their bites do not transmit any dangerous diseases.
- Can you get rid of bed bugs yourself?
- No! If you want to get rid of bed bugs, it’s crucial to enlist the help of a professional exterminator.
Bed Bugs in Albuquerque
If you have bed bugs, it’s important to act quickly. The team at Pest Defense Solutions knows how pesky these bugs can be as well as how distressing they are for property owners here in Albuquerque NM. DIY methods are never sufficient to control an infestation. Our bed bug treatment options are designed to keep you and your family safe from bed bugs–contact us today to learn more!
Debunking 8 Common Bed Bug Myths in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico