Here at Pest Defense Solutions, we get a lot of calls for cockroach problems during the summer months. While roaches are a year-round pest problem in Albuquerque, their populations explode with the heat of the summer. Most roach species are drawn to humidity, which is why in-home infestations are so common this time of year. Cockroach infestations can be frustrating to get rid of, not to mention altogether dangerous. To avoid dealing with a summertime roach infestation, it’s best to learn how to keep them out altogether. Our team has gathered our top tips for cockroach prevention–keep reading to learn more!
How Dangerous are Roaches?
Cockroaches are known to be gross, but they are one of the more dangerous types of pests. Especially in the summer months, cockroach infestations can explode in size. When you have an infestation, roaches can spread germs and filth. Some of the bacteria and germs they carry can lead to a number of transmitted diseases. The presence of roaches has also been known to trigger allergies in certain individuals. Due to the dangers associated with their activity, it’s important to know what you can do to keep them out of your home or business.
5 Tips to Keep Cockroaches away
Even seeing a single roach in your property can be bad news. To avoid a sighting altogether, there are a few things you can do to prevent cockroaches:
- Seal cracks and crevices in your property. Also install screens over doors and windows.
- Regularly clean your bathrooms and kitchens. Promptly wipe up messes, crumbs, and spills, and avoid clutter.
- Securely seal food and store in the refrigerator. Use tight-fitting lids on trash cans.
- Promptly fix leaky/broken pipes to avoid excess moisture problems inside the property.
- Pick up all pet food and pet food bowls after mealtimes—never leave food out overnight.
Summer Cockroach Infestations in Albuquerque
If you’ve done all you can to prevent a cockroach problem but have noticed them in your property, it’s crucial to act fast. Roaches are infamously difficult to get rid of without the help of a professional, and DIY cockroach control can be fruitless. The roach exterminators at Pest Defense Solutions can help ensure you stay roach-free in the summer and all year long.