With their droppings, odors, and mess-making habits, rodents are known as one of the grosser types of pest problems. But how dangerous are rats and mice? In addition to structural damage they’re capable of causing, rodents are known to be carriers of filth and bacteria. Rat feces in particular are feared for their ability to spread disease.
Because rats and mice are so common in New Mexico throughout the entire year, it’s important to know what harm they may bring.
What are the Diseases Spread by Rats?
Most of the following diseases are rare, but it’s still smart to know the potential danger of rats and mice. If any of the below symptoms are suspected after an encounter with a rodent, it’s crucial to seek out a medical professional. Some of the most serious diseases transmitted by rats and mice throughout history include:
- Hantavirus is a potentially life-threatening disease transmitted to humans by rodents, mainly the white-footed deer mouse.
- Victims become infected through exposure or inhalation of infected rodent urine, droppings, or saliva.
- Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, chills and abdominal problems.
- Bubonic Plague
- Also known as the “Black Death”, the Plague is a highly contagious, dangerous disease that is notorious for killing one-third of the European population during the Middle Ages.
- The Plague is spread by the bite of an infected rodent flea and can cause fever, headache, and painfully swollen lymph nodes.
- Salmonellosis is a type of food poisoning spread by rodent feces, most often through the consumption of contaminated food.
- Symptoms of salmonella include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal pain.
- Rat-Bite Fever
- Rat-bite fever (RBF) is a potentially fatal infectious disease spread by infected rodents or the consumption of food contaminated by rodents.
- Symptoms usually occur 3–10 days after exposure to an infected source and include fever, vomiting, headaches, rash, and muscle pain.
Rat or Mice Problem? We can help!
Dangerous Rodent Infestations
Even though it’s rare to get a disease from a rodent, it’s best to not take any chances. The rodent exterminators at Pest Defense Solutions will thoroughly inspect your property, exterminate rodent activity, and help you learn how to keep them away for good. Call us today to learn more!Back to Rodent Exterminators – Rat & Mice Exterminators
Dangers of Rodents in New Mexico in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico