We all know pests love to make themselves at home inside your kitchen or in your attic, but what about the garage? Especially here in Albuquerque, garages are a hotspot for pest infestations. A garage oftentimes provides pests with ample food, shelter, and water, making it a prime spot year-round. Whether you keep your holiday decorations stored away in the garage or your gardening tools, you likely want to avoid dealing with pests every time you have to rifle through your garage. The experts at Pest Defense Solutions are here with their top tips for a pest-free garage all year long.
What Pests Infest Garages?
More than a few pests will likely find your garage to be a haven. Some of the most common ones we experience here in New Mexico include:
- Mice & Rats. Particularly in the winter, rodents will seek shelter in garages. They can easily build nests in storage boxes and wall voids or even sneak into your car.
- Spiders. Arachnids are known to spin webs in boxes and in rarely-accessed corners. You can be sure to come across spiders when pulling out holiday decorations from your garage every year.
- Silverfish. These tiny insects are especially fond of garages and cardboard boxes. Once they are in your garage, they can feed on a number of items: paper, glue, clothing, flour, and more. While mostly harmless, silverfish are nonetheless a nuisance.
- Flies. Especially in the hot summer months, flies can be a major nuisance. House flies can be found resting on nearly any surface including on walls, floors, window sills and other various objects found in the garage.
Best Tips For a Pest-Free Garage
Keeping pests out of your garage requires many of the same procedures you’d take to prevent them inside your home. This includes:
- Installing weather stripping and using silicone-based caulk to seal cracks and crevices.
- Promptly fixing moisture issues by repairing leaky pipes and using a dehumidifier.
- Storing all food, decorations, and other goods in plastic bins with tight-fitting lids instead of cardboard boxes.
- Keeping your garage clean and tidy by blowing it out once a month and sweeping when necessary.
- Storing all items up off of the ground when possible, and staying as organized as possible.
Pests in Albuquerque Garages
Dealing with pests anywhere inside or outside your property can be frustrating and even downright dangerous. If you are having trouble keeping pests out of your garage, the expert technicians at Pest Defense Solutions can help!
5 Tips For a Pest-Free Garage in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico