How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Albuquerque?
Did you know termites can be prevented before a home is even built? Many builders team up with pest control companies to treat lumber and use termite-resistant materials when building new properties here in Albuquerque.
To prevent termites when building a new building, it’s best to apply treatment before, during, and after the property is built. This provides a barrier against termites from the get-go, giving you protection against termites in your brand-new property.
Preventing Termites When Building a New Property
Subterranean termite species need contact with the soil in order to survive. Treating or blocking access to the soil can help prevent them. There are a few things builders can do to prevent termites in the construction phase:
- Apply treatment to the soil to form a chemical barrier against termites.
- Use pressure-treated or termite-resistant wood, such as resinous woods.
- Limit or eliminate wood-to-soil contact throughout the entire foundation by using a concrete base as a barrier.
- Ensure the home will receive proper ventilation to prevent excess moisture and humidity.
- Ensure the new property has proper drainage, which is best achieved by sloping the soil away from the foundation.
- Be wary of keeping wood above ground to avoid contact with soil, especially in basements or crawl spaces.
- Use a galvanized steel or concrete barrier into the build between the soil and the foundation to help create a barrier against termites.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Do I Need Termite Prevention For My New Home?
If the above prevention methods aren’t taken advantage of when building a new home, it’s important to implement ongoing prevention services with a professional pest control company. This includes eliminating excess moisture, fixing leaky water pipes, removing dead or rotten sources of wood, keeping firewood away from the home, and being cautious of any wood contact with the ground. Teaming up with a professional termite exterminator right away is the best way to avoid termite problems in your new Albuquerque property!
How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Albuquerque? in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico