During the warmer months of the year, mosquitoes can become a big problem for New Mexico residents. Especially in the summer, mosquitoes are out in full force, usually in areas with standing water. Everyone knows that mosquitoes pose a huge threat to health around the world, which is why it’s so important to learn about mosquito prevention for your yard.
In addition to the tips below, it’s always recommended to work with a professional pest control company such as Pest Defense Solutions who can further protect you from mosquitoes.
Prevent mosquitoes in 3 steps
To avoid the onslaught of mosquitoes each yard, there are a few ways you can make your yard less appealing to the pesky insects. Some of our expert tips on preventing mosquitoes in your yard include:
- Remove standing water: To be able to reproduce, mosquitoes need a source of standing water. Puddles, planters, buckets, ponds, and even tarps that provide standing water should be covered or removed.
- Plant a garden: Rosemary, citronella, and marigolds are just three of the many types of plants known to naturally repel mosquitoes.
- Get the air moving: Mosquitoes do not like a windy environment. If you have a covered patio, install a ceiling fan or place an outdoor standing fan to avoid still air.
Need a Pest Control Estimate?
We'll call you! Leave your information below.
DIY mosquito prevention
Chances are you’ve used a mosquito repellent at some point in your life. But do they work? There are many DIY solutions and store-bought products that claim to be effective, but they usually only last for a short period of time. Some of the most popular store-bought mosquito prevention products include:
- Spray repellent: While this spray might keep mosquitoes at bay for a short time, it’s not guaranteed and needs to be re-applied.
- Citronella products or candles: As attractive as these may be, they only work in a limited area and for a while.
- Chemical sprays: Spraying chemicals around your property may work for a little bit, but it’s not effective long term! Chemical-laced products are not good for the environment and can be dangerous for humans, too.
When to call a mosquito exterminator
To avoid having to deal with a mosquito infestation, it’s important to protect your home before the weather warms up. If you’ve followed the above tips to repel mosquitoes and you are still experiencing mosquito problems in your yard, it’s time to call the mosquito exterminators at Pest Defense Solutions.Back to Mosquito Exterminators, Control & Removal
Preventing Mosquitoes in Your Yard in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico