Summertime in Albuquerque brings with it a number of pest problems: mosquitoes, termites, wasps, and more. One of the most dangerous pests to keep an eye out in the summertime, however, is the tick. According to a study, tick populations are on the rise as the global climate continues to get warmer and warmer. These tiny parasitic pests are feared for a number of reasons, mainly their ability to transmit Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses. While not every tick bite results in illness, it’s still crucial to learn how to keep an eye out for ticks. The best form of tick control is prevention. The experts at Pest Defense Solutions are here to help you learn how to keep ticks away from your property for good.
Ticks in Albuquerque Yards
Ticks are common in heavily wooded or tall grassy areas. So how do they end up in your backyard in the first place? Ticks love to hitchhike by latching onto clothes, people, and animals. They will also gladly take up residence in your yard if there are areas for them to hide. Hiking in nearby trails, especially off the beaten path, can increase your risk (or your pet’s risk) of a tick bite. Another common way ticks get onto your property is when infested rodents or nuisance wildlife carry them into your backyard or home.
Top Tips to Keep Ticks Away
Ticks may be tiny, but you can still put preventative measures in place to keep them out of your yard.
- Reduce the clutter in your yard. Not only will this prevent ticks, but also the animals that commonly carry them. Reducing the number of potential hiding spots for ticks can discourage them from sticking around.
- Install barriers. A barrier made out of gravel or wood chips that is at least 3 feet wide can deter ticks. This helps create a natural barrier between wooded or grassy areas and the recreational areas in your backyard.
- Check your clothing and shower. After being outdoors, inspect your clothing for ticks. Toss your clothing in the dryer on high heat for 10 minutes, or wash them in hot water. A shower after being outdoors also decreases the chance of contracting a disease if you were bitten by a tick.
- Take care of your yard. Ticks love tall grass and unkempt shrubs. Maintain your backyard by regularly mowing the lawn, placing barriers around your property, and trimming back hedges or trees as needed.
- Keep wildlife and rodents out. These pests infamously carry and contribute to the spread of ticks. Wildlife exclusion tactics, such as installing secure fences or screen doors, can help prevent ticks in your yard.
- Learn how to identify ticks and tick bites. Your best defense against ticks is learning how to inspect for them. After being outdoors or after a hike, use a handheld mirror to look for tick bites on exposed parts of your body. Check under your pet’s fur for potential ticks as well. If you spot any, it’s smart to know how to remove a tick properly.
Need to Get Rid of Ticks?
If you’ve done all you can to prevent ticks and still notice them in or near your property, it’s best to team up with your local pest control experts. The team at Pest Defense Solutions will thoroughly inspect your yard and implement prevention tactics to keep ticks and the animals that carry them away for good. Contact us today to get started!
Tips to Keep Ticks Away in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico