From family gatherings and birthday parties to get-togethers with friends and holiday baking days, a kitchen is the hub of any home. No matter how often you use your kitchen, it’s imperative to keep your surroundings clean and sanitized. One of the biggest threats to the cleanliness of your home is a pest infestation. Unfortunately, kitchens are somewhat of a haven for pests with the endless access to food and water. To prevent pests in your kitchen, it’s important to be proactive about making sure your environment doesn’t attract bugs in the first place. The experts at Pest Defense Solutions are here to help with six easy tips for a pest-free kitchen—read on to learn more!
What Pests Infest Kitchens?
Both residential and commercial kitchens can be prone to all types of pest problems. The most common pests we see infesting kitchens here in Albuquerque NM are:
- Pantry pests. True to name, these moths, beetles, and bugs infest dried goods and foods in your pantry, which can be any baker’s worst nightmare.
- Ants. A small ant problem can quickly turn into a large one if ants have found a source of food or water in your kitchen
- Cockroaches. Roaches love filth and feed on sewer and drain sludge. Many species love to hide behind appliances and are especially troublesome in the food service industry.
- Flies. From drain flies to fungus gnats, flies can be a true nuisance in the kitchen and can affect your business’ reputation.
- Rodents. Attracted to warmth and food, small house mice can take shelter behind your appliances and are attracted to food crumbs and garbage.
Tips to Keep Pests Out of Your Kitchen
Keeping a pest-free kitchen requires knowledge of what attracts them in the first place. The best tips to prevent pests around your sink, pantry, or other appliances are:
- Maintain a clean kitchen. Always clean up after meals and avoid crumbs and spills. Clean your floors regularly and avoid clutter.
- Seal cracks and fix leaks. Inspect your kitchen for leaky pipes or crevices around your windows. Seal off or repair issues as necessary.
- Organize. It’s important to seal all dried goods and foods in airtight containers. Regularly go through your pantry and keep things organized.
- Check your groceries. When buying certain goods at the store, inspect food items for tears or signs of damage to avoid pantry pests.
- Clean up after your pet. All types of pests love pet food! Store in airtight containers and never leave food bowls out overnight.
Kitchen Pest Control Services in Albuquerque NM
An infestation in your kitchen isn’t just gross—it’s dangerous! Pests can contaminate food and transmit dangerous diseases, making it all the more important to have a clean, pest-free kitchen. If you’ve done all you can and are still seeing pests around your appliances, it’s time to team up with the experts at Pest Defense Solutions. Contact us today to get started!