Whether you’ve had mosquitoes in your gutters or ants all over your barbeque, you know that pest problems can develop in a flash in your backyard. When the sun comes out for spring again, we all look to get out doors more often, but pests can quickly ruin your time spent outside. This is why it’s so important to learn how to make your property less attractive to pests in the first place. At Pest Defense Solutions, we know that pest problems riddle Albuquerque homes all year long. With our commitment to ensuring our customers are pest-free both inside and outside their homes, we’re sharing our top tips to prevent pests in your patio.
Pests to Lookout For in Your Outdoor Living Space
If you have an outdoor living space, you can be sure pests are going to explore it! Many pests are a nuisance to deal with, but a few can be more dangerous for you and your family. The pests you’ll see in your yard are mosquitoes, stinging insects (bees, wasps, and hornets), ants, spiders, ticks, fleas, and flies. Ticks and mosquitoes are especially concerning for their ability to transmit dangerous diseases to humans. Because these pests in particular are quite difficult to get rid of without a barrier treatment, it’s important to consult a professional exterminator if you are seeing either of these parasitic pests daily.
Tips to Prevent Pests in Backyard Patios
Pests are always a nuisance, but as we know, they can be dangerous, too. Mosquitoes, ticks, and stinging insects are three of the most common pest problems in backyards in spring. To help pest-proof your property from these bugs and more, you can do the following:
- Trim your lawn and shrubs. Overgrown vegetation provides mosquitoes and ticks with shelter.
- Search for ant hills and wasp nests. Even the tiniest nest can contain thousands of stinging insects.
- Examine wood structures. Termites and carpenter bees will damage wooden decks or porches.
- Cover or pour out standing water. Mosquitoes only need a half inch of standing water to breed.
- Use an insect repellent. Insect repellent containing DEET will help repel mosquitoes and ticks.
- Clean your patio or space regularly. Crumbs or spilled liquids will attract ants and other insects.
How to Get Rid of Pests in Your Backyard
Whether you have spotted a nest forming on your deck, an ant hill near your garden, or mosquitoes swarming your yard, it’s best to contact your local exterminator for help getting rid of them. At Pest Defense Solutions, we are dedicated to providing you with pest-free outdoor living. Contact us today to learn more and get a free quote!