Every spring in the Albuquerque area, ants start to show up more in homes. But why? After overwintering, warming temperatures encourage worker ants out of their nests in search of food and water. To prevent them from finding your home as a suitable home now is the time for ant-proofing! Once ant infestations start, they can be difficult to get rid of. For that reason, it’s best to do all you can to prevent them in the first place.
The team at Pest Defense Solutions has gathered their top ant-proofing tips to help you keep ants away in the coming months.
What Draws Ants?
Similar to many other types of pests, ants will seek out food and water sources. This makes kitchens particularly vulnerable to infestations. Any crumbs left on countertops and floors will invite ants for a feast. These pests are also attracted to excess moisture. They will be drawn to leaky faucets or pipes that have created a humid environment. For the most part, ants make their way indoors through tiny cracks and crevices. When they find food and water inside a property, they will be compelled to stay and spread.
Best Ant-Proofing Tips
Ants can be unpredictable and difficult to control, but there are a few ways you can possibly lessen the risk of getting an infestation. Implement the following tips into your regular home maintenance routine:
- Thoroughly inspect your property for cracks or crevices, and seal any you find with a silicone-based caulk.
- Keep pet foods clean and promptly clean up spills. Always pick up pet bowls off the floor after meals.
- Ensure downspouts and gutters are all functioning properly so that water is flowing away from the foundation.
- Check under sinks for excess moisture problems and repair leaky pipes promptly.
- Make sure to trim trees and shrubbery in your yard to be at least 6 inches away from the home.
- Sweep or vacuum your floors and wipe down surfaces regularly to clean up spills and remove crumbs.
- Store food (pet food included) in airtight containers and place ripe fruit in your fridge.
- Dispose of garbage on a regular basis and use trash cans with a tight-fitting lid.
What to Do When You Have Ants
If you’ve done everything you can to prevent ants and still are noticing them along with your kitchen counters or baseboards, it’s time to call an ant exterminator. At Pest Defense Solutions, our experts have the experience needed to control your problem quickly and help you keep ants out for good.
8 Tips for Ant-Proofing Your Home in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico