If you’ve ever had a termite problem before, you know how frustrating and costly an infestation can be. Infestations can seemingly appear out of nowhere. This is because too often, homeowners don’t notice a termite problem until serious damage has been caused. In order to avoid discovering termites in your Albuquerque home, it’s crucial to learn the ways in which you may be inviting termites in! By knowing what attracts them, you can hopefully reduce the chances of getting a problem down the line. The team at Pest Defense Solutions is here to share the ways you may be inviting termites in, as well as tips on stopping infestations.
Termite Attractants in Albuquerque
Termites are wood-boring pests that will gladly infest wood sources on your property. Subterranean termites are also attracted to moisture. The presence of these three things on your property could provide termites with exactly what they’re looking for:
- Firewood or wood piles: A lot of people tend to keep firewood stacked against their home or on the stoop for easy access. To avoid this, always store wood piles at least 20 feet away from the house, and 5 inches off the ground. Never leave stumps or logs in the yard, especially those that are in decay.
- Clogged drains or improper drainage: Moisture problems will attract subterranean termites, the most destructive species nationwide. Ensure you do not have any clogged gutters. Divert rainwater away from the foundation of your property with down-spout extenders.
- Mulch: Any mulch near your property could serve as a source of food for termites. Mulch retains moisture, which attracts termites. Try to minimize the usage of mulch or at least keep it 15 inches away from the foundation of your home.
Ways You Can Keep Termites Away
In addition to limiting the presence of the above attractants, there are several other things you can do to prevent termites:
- Be proactive about checking your home for pest problems
- Fix broken roofs and seal gaps and crevices in the home
- Keep a neat garden with trees and shrubs trimmed back
- Regularly inspect porches, decks, and outdoor furniture
Year-Round Termite Prevention
Termites are the number one most destructive pest in the nation. For that reason, it’s essential for all homeowners in our neighborhoods to stay proactive about preventative maintenance. For more information on what attracts termites to your home or how to prevent them, contact the termite exterminators at Pest Defense Solutions today!
3 Ways You May Be Inviting Termites In in Albuquerque NM
Serving Albuquerque & Santa Fe New Mexico